Balancing the Body to Boost Overall Wellness
One of the most popular diets in Hollywood right now is the Alkaline Diet. Hollywood is finally getting a diet right! Ever since I opened my first nutrition clinic 28 years ago, I have used the Alkaline Diet as a fundamental element in restoring patients’ health and wellness.
Feeling out of balance is not just in your mind. It is actually deeply rooted in our body chemistry or pH balance, the balance of alkaline and acid chemicals. By eating the right balance of alkaline and acid forming foods, you can significantly improve your overall health and wellbeing, including improving your metabolism, energy levels, digestion, appearance and mental clarity.
To look and feel your best, it is critical that your body is contains more alkaline than acid. Our bodies naturally keep large alkaline reserves to balance a diet containing acid-producing foods. When these reserves are depleted beyond a 3:1 ratio, it creates an environment that allows yeast, viruses and parasites to thrive, which can contribute to conditions such as chronic fatigue, allergies, arthritis and more. If the body becomes too acidic, it will start using its reserves of minerals like sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium, which can create serious mineral deficiencies. Striking a balance is key.
One of the first signs that your body might be overly acidic can be seen in your appearance. For example, you might notice your hair thinning, your nails becoming more brittle or your skin becoming dull with more blemishes than usual. Women will notice an increase in yeast infections, which almost always indicates an acid body. The easiest way to determine your pH is to give yourself a test with pH strips you can pick up at your local drug store. Your body is considered alkaline if your pH is above 7.0 and an ideal pH is 7.4.
The number one rule of thumb is to avoid Alkaline Diet killers like artificial or processed foods and preservatives. Strive for an 80% alkaline, 20% acid balance.
Here are some easy ways to increase your alkalinity:
1. Kickoff with a Cleanse: First go on a 24-hour liquid juice fast to cleanse excess acid waste using a combination of freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juices or store bought superfruit juice. If you buy store bought, read the label! It should be all-natural and contain absolutely nothing artificial. I recommend Genesis Today’s juices, found in the refrigerated juice section at Walmart, because they are loaded with extra vitamins and minerals that will nourish your body with essential nutrients while you are fasting.
2. Begin Your Day the Balanced Way: I recommend starting your day off by combining green vegetables into breakfast every morning. Find a superfood greens powder like Genesis Today’s GenEssential Greens that you can find in Whole Foods and mix it with Acai Berry Juice – this is a great alkaline way to balance your body every morning.
3. Sip your Way to Alkalinity: Drinking water with lemon or lime will help flush acids out of your body. Lime and lemon are both alkalizing and will help your liver rid the body of toxins. For the ultimate in alkalinity, find alkaline water or buy a filter for your home. The water should be at least a pH balance of 7.0, but 8.5 is ideal. If you need a little caffeine, sip hot or cold green tea, which is naturally very alkaline.
4. Sweat out Your Acids: Exercise every day or spend time in a sauna. Exercise helps oxygenate your blood, tissues and cells and supports detoxification and sweat removes acids in the body. It doesn’t matter what type of exercise you do, just be sure to sweat!
5. Get Your Greens: Try to incorporate dark leafy greens into every meal of the day. Order some spinach as a side dish, add a salad to your lunch, snack on kale chips, make a green veggie juice or mix up some powdered greens with your morning juice. Adding more greens to your diet will give you a hefty alkaline boost.
Sample Alkaline Diet:
- Scrambled eggs with broccoli, mushrooms and a twig of parsley, which not only freshens your breath, but increases alkalinity and detoxifies the liver
- Genesis Today’s Acai Berry Juice with a scoop of GenEssentials Greens
- Whole grain wrap with hummus, spinach and tomatoes
- Kale chips (To make kale chips, tear up kale into potato-chip-size pieces, lay on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes, just until the edges are brown.)
- Ginger or green tea
Going out for dinner? To stick to an alkaline diet, look for the freshest foods and avoid acids. Some common menu items you could order are:
- Instead of an appetizer, go for a green vegetable salad. Skip the dressing and ask for fresh lemon and olive oil instead.
- Grilled fish with vegetables
- Alcohol can wreck an alkaline diet, instead of drinking wine with dinner, try Genesis Today’s Relax Me as a night cap. You can find this in the refrigerated section of Walmart and will feel it calming your body down to prepare you for a perfect night of sleep and another day of balance.